Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sisters!

Dianna, from These Days of Mine recently awarded me the Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award!

I was honored to be recognized by Dianna, who is a long-time friend, and a superb blogger!  Her photos - particularly her sunrise/sunset ones - are always excellent and she was my inspiration for starting to blog in the first place.  I guess she is my mentor...don't let that scare you, Dianna!

Anyway, the "requirements" for the award are to share some interesting facts about yourself, and then to pass it along.  So, here are the facts - I will leave it up to the reader to decide if they are interesting!


  1. I was a church musician - organist, pianist, choir director for more years than I care to remember!  Okay, I started playing for church when I was 12...and I retired from church music when I was 57.  I really can remember that far back!
  2. I played keyboards with 2 gospel groups - and recorded 2 CDs.  The last group was a duo, and we traveled from Virginia to Ohio once to do a concert, and also played in Greensboro, NC.  We regularly traveled to Maryland to do a coffeehouse gig.  Unfortunately, there is not a lot of money in playing coffeehouses!
  3. I have been featured in our local Virginian-Pilot newspaper twice - once for Father's Day in 1996 - with a photo of my dad and me, and once for Mother's Day 2 years ago - with a photo of me with the angel that hangs outside my front door.
  4. Most everyone who is a regular reader will know this fact:  I raised 4 sons (one son died in 2000, just before his 29th birthday), and have 5 grandsons.  I couldn't get a girl, even if I tried to buy one (I even tried changing husbands since I heard that it is the man who determines the sex - that didn't work either!)!  But, I love the boys...all of them!
  5. I am the Treasurer of my Photography club.  Last year I took 1st place in  the annual scavenger hunt photo contest.  This year, I took 2nd place in the monthly challenge "Urban Landscapes".  My photo was also selected for the city of Norfolk's Top 10 Photos contest (until they realized I had taken the Portsmouth side of the bridge instead of the Norfolk side...picky, picky!)
  6. Dan and I met through Yahoo Personals in 2006 - and discovered we had not only lived within a mile of each other for many years, but that our kids had gone to school together, and the best friend of Dan's daughter had a crush on my #2 son when they were in 7th grade!
  7. Finally, (did I hear a sigh of relief?), I am learning to draw and paint - oils and watercolors.  I am not sure any of my work will be worthy of hanging in a museum, but my #2 grandson asked me to paint a covered bridge for him after he saw the one I had done for myself - and he recognized it when I gave it to him!  And, my youngest was able to identify, without much thinking, the sketches I did this week of the egg and the apple on a white sheet of paper.  That works for me!
Whew!  That was a lot of thinking!  Now for the passing-it-on part!  Quite a few of the blogs I follow are award-free, which makes it even more difficult to pass these awards on.  However, I am nominating the following for several reasons.  Each of them contribute to my daily routine in such a positive way.  Some are craft-focused, some are photo-focused, and some are just a breath of fresh air!  In no particular order, they are:

Thanks again, Dianna!  I know this has been a wordy blog, but I wanted to do the award justice!

14 comments:

Dianna said...

Great post, Linda! I'm honored that you began blogging because of me (blush).
You're such a talented person with your music and photography...and now: art! Hoping you'll share photos of your artwork here on your blog.

Hootin Anni said...

What a pleasant read....I loved getting to know some 'unknown' facts about you...we do seem to create a sisterhood of interests along the way, don't we? When you said you tried for a girl....and at the end you said "I even tried changing husbands" ---that cracked me up. But then, reading on, you said "that didn't work either" ---------well, I misinterpreted that into "They don't work either"....I began nodding in agreement, then realized you said "THAT" didn't work. LOLOL

Thanks for the award...I accept it with happiness that you thought of me as a 'sister'....which, in so many ways we are!!!!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

awww, thank you for the kind words, so sweet of you. i know when you went away i sure missed you. i check in every day with you. i feel like we talk & share our thoughts on so much in such a short time it has been such fun. Virginia friends as well. i really enjoyed your post here ... loved all you said, learning even more about you & was so shocked by the end that you thought i should get the award too. so kind. thank you again. big, big hugs!! (:

Jan n Jer said...

Congrats on the award Linda and sharing some very interesting facts about your life. What a rich life you have. It amazes me how the blogosphere connects us in such a way that it feels like family! Keep on doing what your doing...life is good!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Congratulations on the award- and thanks for sharing a part of who you are with us!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Congratulations Linda, so well deserved. Was great to read a little more about yourself, some very sad but most inspiring! I think you are a wee bit of a celebrity oui!

TexWisGirl said...

#4 made me laugh. and 'picky picky' did, too. :) yay for #7!!!

congrats, linda!

Pix said...

Congratulations Linda!! I loved getting to know you better. Picky is right for heck's sake!!!! Redunkulous! They thought the picture was award worthy and they should have left it at that. Ima check out the other blogs~ :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Congrats on the award, Linda! I'm slow this week in blog reading and also wanted to say that I think the barn you posted yesterday is awesome! I'm signing up as your newest follower, too.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

It was fun getting to know more about you Linda. Thanks for thinking of me for the Sisterhood Award. I will have to think hard to come up with some interesting facts about me. At the moment I can't think of a one. :0)

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Congratulations, Linda, on getting this ward. It was interesting learning a little more about you and discovering we have some more things in common. I play the piano and compose music, as well as paint.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Congratulations, Linda, on getting this ward. It was interesting learning a little more about you and discovering we have some more things in common. I play the piano and compose music, as well as paint.

Kranky Granny said...

Enjoyed your list. But, number six really hit home. The Old Salt and I also met on Yahoo Personals in November of 2006. We married in March of 2007.

I'm delighted you found each other and wish you both a long and cherished life together.

على محمد said...


شركة تنظيف بالدمام

شركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام